On the weekend I had the opportunity to see all of my old friends again. You know the ones who you sat next to in English or art class for no better reason than you didn't want to look uncool by sitting by yourself. I guess we had somethings in common, mainly our loneliness and our ability to not fit into many different situations and cliques at school. I haven't seen many of them for about a year now. That's how I like it. I have my life and they have theirs. Sure, we will send the odd email or bump into each other on the train, but there's not enough that can be said in those odd moments of time when we are rushing from place to place for them to really understand whats happening in the life of Cadbury.
The party went on, so we made conversation. "What are you up to these days?" was the favourite line of everyone's, as it was so ambiguous that it didn't matter if you hadn't seen the person in 3 days or 3 years, it still asked them the same banal shit.
It was at this point, where I'd usually hear the usual drivel:
Me:"What have you been doing?"
Friend: "Oh, you know, the usual"
Me: [gives quizzical look, inviting them to further the last statement in an attempt to appear caring]
Friend: "work, uni, the usual. You?"
Me: "Yeah, the same"
Why didn't I say "Well, you know, I've started up this zine which is read in 5 different continents and I'm launching the third issue soon" you ask me. Well, there are a few reasons which I am yet to explain. You see, usually the friend will then go on to explain that they found a man who is 30+ years of age (only a 10+ year age gap), have a mortgage, are engaged and are planning on having children.
YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK!
At the young age of 19, you are still classed as teenagers. Whatever happened to living your life while you can? The average 19 year old should be concerned with what's happening in their shitty job and whether they have passed that last philosophy assignment at uni, not their 30-40year old paedophile and their mortgage.
Don't tell me that I want the Aussie dream. I don't want 2.5 kids and a nice house in the suburbs. Not just yet. I want to live my life first. Fuck mortgages. Fuck children. Fuck houses. Fuck debts. Fuck everyone who says that's what I have to do. I'm living here and now, doing what I love because I love it and I will continue to do so until I die.
Fuck your standards!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I know exactly what you're talking about.
I had a situation once where I saw an old school friend on a bus, he yelled out "Zero, I haven't seen you in ages!"
I replied with "Same! I haven't seen me for ages either!".
He just gave me a blank look and ignored me from then on.
Some people just don't get it.
Post a Comment