Thursday, August 6, 2009

ZXSPECKY – VEGETATIVE STATE

It’s no secret that I’ve been a fan of Zxspecky for quite a while now. With super fast riffs, catchy choruses, and a skewed take on modern society that’s as hilarious as it is insightful, they are an extremely entertaining pop-punk band. I am of the opinion that this band gets better with each successive release, and I feel that Vegetative State, their fourth studio album (fifth if you include that one with Project Mayhem), continues that tradition.

Oh sorry, did I just say that Vegetative State is the best album they’ve ever made? I sure did, and after listening to it it’s not hard to see why. Like all the other albums that came before, this album takes the tried and true Specky formula from the previous album and pushes it even further, making the riffs faster, the choruses catchier, and the lyrics funnier.

Right from the start, this album hits top gear and stays there, cranking out hit after hit. It begins with Clever, a catchy little song about ‘being clever for the sake of it’ or something- I haven’t actually been able to read the lyrics yet so I’m just guessing based on the chorus- before moving on to Clay Lucy and Eurotrash Group Therapist, two songs which have been staples of their live shows for over a year. Then we get to Puerto Chicxulub, a song that manages to link a (allegedly) poorly written review about the band to that crater in Mexico where a meteorite that (allegedly) killed the dinosaurs hit the Earth. This song always makes me laugh, as does Ayahuasca, a song which celebrates ‘Peruvian party drugs’ and is so addictively catchy it could be considered a drug itself! After this is ICT, another full speed song, and Unsolicited Promotional Material Romantic, a song that is apparently about falling in love with the models in department store junk mail (which is something I’m sure we can all relate to… right? No? Just me? Alrighty then). The next two songs, Peter Repeater and John, Where’s The Party At?, are slower paced, but still quite fun and catchy in their own right, and then there’s… well, that’s it. Like all of Specky’s albums, it’s got an obscenely short running time, but it sure was fun while it lasted, right?

Overall, this album is a must buy if you liked Specky’s other albums or just like pop-punk in general. I also hear it’s great if you think that you are into rock. *wink*

No comments: